Saturday, March 21, 2009

AIESEC Results

This morning I received an email from the student association AIESEC that I was not chosen to become a part of the association for this semester. Even though they told me not to take it personally; that the reason I was not chosen was due to the lack of availability in positions, but deep inside I know why I was not chosen.

It is kind of funny; in a way; I dragged my friend Lena along with me to the AIESEC leadership tournament, but instead of me getting in, she got in without a doubt. I am truly happy for her and congratulated her sincerely. Before all of this; I was never interested in joining and attending programs like this, I hated making stupid poses in front of an entire room of people and I hated presentations and interactions with people who I don’t normally associate with.

Despite of that; I decided to try out for AIESEC because thankfully I was smart enough to realize my weaknesses in communication skills, people skills and public speaking skills etc. I have decided at the beginning of 2009 that I was going to break out of my comfort zone, overcome my fears and improve on these skills.

The email from AIESEC had struck me on the head; maybe I have read more books than those who got chosen and maybe I’m way better and smarter than those who got chosen but I failed to sale myself in front of the panels during my interview, I failed to communicate what I know to the panels. My incompetence in communicating effectively has let me down.

I felt beaten and depressed for a little while; but one thing I’m good at is to transform my failure into a source of drive, being able to communicate effectively had suddenly turned into a burning desire, I’m now eager to learn, determined with all my mind to learn, and will not stop nor quit until I have what I want; and that is to communicate effectively.

This self-realization process is an opportunity to become better; an opportunity that has slipped in through the back door, just as what I read last night from the book ‘Think Rich and Grow Rich’ opportunity has a sly habit of slipping in by the back door, and often it comes disguised in the form of misfortune, or temporary defeat. Having a purpose, a goal and working to achieve this goal in the right direction is the pathway to accomplishments. I will maintain significant faith and focus on this goal; and I’m sure to win in the end.

2 comments:

  1. I will keep track of what I did each and every day to achieve this goal; post them here and evaluate them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hasen,

    I landed on your post today and you cannot imagine how good I understand what you are going through - I have just passed through this kind of an experience recently, in Feb - I would love to chat with you about this, to share questions that we have or answers that we have come up with as a result of htis valuable process - in acse you wanna catch up, drop me a line on monicac@ai.aiesec.org and let's have a chat on skype?
    Best Wishes,
    Mo

    ReplyDelete