Sunday, April 12, 2009

Toastmaster Experience

Ever since I got turned down by AIESEC; I have been working on my ability to communicate with people. Initially; I searched on Google for presentation skill classes and clubs and found the toastmaster club, I checked the website out, it is one of those very straightforward club that didn't cost as much. Going through the list of locations of the clubs in Auckland; I found there is one in AUT suprisingly. This is when I realised sometime last year I received an email from my friend Cara about a club she has started in AUT and the name was toastmaster! What a coincident; even though I regreted that I didn't join last year, but I guess is never too late.

In class I tried my best to chat with people sitting on my table; but I have to say sometimes is impossible for me to start a conversation because people looked so numb from time to time (or maybe just accounting people?).

Anyway; since I first visited toastmaster I have been there twice on visits, I really enjoyed my two visits so I've decided to formally join the club next week. There are normally around 10 to 12 people for each meeting; it is probably because it is held within a university that have students with busy social life, but for me that many people to start practicing is good enough. I guess I can always switch to another toastmaster club if I wish to.

On my first visit; I didn't get to speak until at the end when I was told to introduce myself and why I want to join toastmaster. So I went up and talked about one minute; i guess it was ok, I was not all that nervous but maybe because it was not something as formal as a presentation. The funny thing was a little thing like standing in front of 10 people inroducing myself and did not feel as nervous as I thought I would feel gave me confidence, I remembered I could not stop smiling on my way home.

One my second visit; I knew this time I would get to talk about a table topic no matter what. A table topic is a random topic or question that the toastmaster asks you; and immediately you have to stand up and talk about whatever was hand it to you on the spot. Trust me; most of these questions are not just dumb but impossible to answer for some people. While I was really struggling to go; because I could have stayed in the libary to finish my assignment, I still went. And yes; I got a table topic, the topic was Why is the sky purple?

OK; now what would you say about this topic? maybe if you are creative and just happen to be a good speaker, I bet you can brag on for hours about why the sky is purple and not blue, but for me, is not all that easy. I remembered saying something about being colourblind and about sunrise and sunset, but I really could not think of anything else to say as I often have a habit of brain freeze when public speaking. So even though my answer was short; I managed to make up some shit about the topic given to me so I was reasonably happy.

So to improve this; I guess I have to pull off some random questions off the internet and try to talk about it on the spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment