On my second day working at D-A-D; I got to use MYOB! This is basically an accounting software created for bookkeeping for small businesses. Ann showed me how to record invoices from suppliers into MYOB; I had a go at it and it is pretty easy, I got to know about open and close invoices etc. It is quite a useful software; it keeps everything simple and clear.
I also helped the factory floor for a bit; helping the girls to write up labels for the curtains from the client's order forms that came in through the fax. I guess is not just learning about the accounts and how to run an office, it is also about learning to interact with everyone and be able to do every kind of job in the factory.
On the third which was yesterday; Diane normally cames into the factory on this day, she is an accounting clerk who's responsible for taking care of the accounts part that Ann was not trained to do, like the reconciliations. I was helping the girls putting up hooks while Diane came in, there was nothing much for her to do yesterday because Ann took me through the invoices and client orders the day before.
So I was able to chat with her about a lot of things; we talked about her old jobs, my experiences with looking for internships and how she thought I should go about looking for jobs. I have to say; she has some good ideas. She told me instead of emailing CVs to different companies, I could show up at their door and ask if there is vancancies, it shows to them that I am eager and determined enough to get a job.
She also told me that I looking for a start-up business to do my internship with is probably not a good idea, since many owner of start-up businesses don't even know what they are doing, so there won't be much I can learn from them.
When I told her about the requirements for my co-op placements; she suggested to me that I should inquire if we are allowed to separate the 9 weeks into 2 parts, meaning working for two different employers, because some employers may only wants to take on shorter periods of internship while at the same time I can gain two types of experience.
Overall it was a plansant experience to talk to Diane; you never know what the other person can teach you during a conversation like this. I guess I also practiced communication skills and overcoming shyness with her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment